Monday, April 28, 2008

Catching up with. . Miesha Marzell


Miesha Marzell, C' 97, was an NCAA Champion at 1500 meters and multiple time All American. She's training for the 2008 Olympic Trials, and the Spiked Shoe Club caught up with her on her plans and favorite GU memories.


SSC: Where are you studying? Is it tough to balance work/training?
MM: I am studying at Penn State University. I am pursing my doctorate in the field of Biobehavioral Health. At times it is a challenge to balance running and graduate school. However, I am very passionate about both and I am having fun. I have tremendous support from my academic department and I am a part of a great running community here in Happy Valley.

SSC: What are your goals for this season?
I have been running since I was a little girl and it has always been my dream to make the Olympic team. Running has been such a huge part of my life and many fond memories involve my experiences running. I have met wonderful people along my journey and have been to many beautiful places. If this year is my last competitive running year, I want to leave the sport I love running very fast and also with a huge smile on my face!

SSC: What's the biggest difference between competing at the professional vs. at collegiate level?
MM: The biggest difference I see in competing out of college is of course teammates. Although many people think track and field is such an individual sport, I believe track athletes experience the benefits of being a part of a “team” just as any other sport team. Running hard on a relay for your teammates, or representing Georgetown at a National Championship is a very special feeling. I always took great pride in putting on a Hoya uniform and running at a Big East Championship. It does not get much better than hearing “The Georgetown Hoyas” booming from the loud speaker at Penn Relays. School pride and camaraderie is definitely something I miss.

SSC: Most grueling workout memory while at Georgetown?
MM: I think every workout my freshman year was a grueling workout. I did not like tempo runs and they still are a thorn in my side. I am getting better though. I no longer hide in the bushes!

SSC: Favorite memory from your time at Georgetown?
I had so much fun at practice. We really had an exceptional group of women training and it was a special time. No matter what was going on, we worked hard at practice! I am very competitive by nature, so the environment we created was great!

SSC: Any advice for current student athletes?
MM: Have fun! Believe in your coaches and most importantly yourself!

No comments: